The Aboriginal Coaching Modules (ACM) is a professional development training tool for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal coaches who coach Aboriginal athletes, as they become certified through the NCCP.
The professional development of Aboriginal coaches through NCCP certification has been identified by the Aboriginal Sport Circle (ASC) as a national priority. In order to educate and promote the value of the NCCP and to establish meaningful participation of Aboriginal peoples in this national program, the ASC embarked on a multi-year process to develop supplemental training material for Aboriginal coaches taking NCCP workshops. The result of this process is the Aboriginal Coaching Modules (ACM), which responds to the need for a national training curriculum with content that reflects the uniqueness of Aboriginal cultures, values, and lifestyles.
The ACM is a professional development training tool for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal coaches who coach Aboriginal athletes, as they become certified through the NCCP. The material in the ACM has been developed to meet the following learning objectives:
- Understanding the role of sport in Aboriginal communities;
- Understanding and positively influencing the community in which you coach;
- Coaching the whole person; coaching beyond the physical to include the mental (intellectual and emotional), spiritual and cultural;
- Responding to racism in sport;
- Establishing a code of behaviour for your team that respects differences and addresses racism;
- Helping those you coach make healthy lifestyle choices.
Date: Sunday, September 23, 2018
Time: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
To register and for more information, call our Sport Development Coordinator at 250-469-8864.